Tuesday, July 24, 2012

RPG development

Hey guys,
 It's been awhile since the last time I post as I've ran  into a problem that wasn't feasible for me to continue development on the Vita(PSM development) due to the reason that the sdk is incapable of running full artificial intelligence on it. It was running at 124ms! per frame on the vita compared to running 32ms on the simulator so then I halt the project until the sdk is more optimized before I can turn back to it.

Meanwhile, I got inspiration from playing the final fantasy 3 on android and I was totally blowned the game and the quality of the game. The RPG was using touchbased commands to nagivate so clever that I thought, hm, maybe I could make myself an rpg game that I've always been wanting to :). Long time ago, I thought of making a 2D battle game but during that time, the technology wasn't abundant like now so it wasn't feasible to write one but I stil had the storyline and theme that I could use to make into an rpg. Therefore, I decided to write one. A real good looking orthogonal RPG for multiplatform. It is an ambitious project but I will put all my heart into making it no matter what.

[RPG]
After researching many of the current technology and studying previously well made RPGs such as japanese and chinese RPGs. I decided the visual style to look like RPG maker XP with tile Suikoden 2 battle system which has 3D decals like the Pokemon battle system. Whichever style fits best would be decided based on what is possible to be programmed with.

[LIBGDX]
Due to the ease and multiplatform nature of the libgdx library which is capable of running on android, desktops, applets, html5 and even IOS in the future, I decided that I write this game and the rpg engine on this Library first and Playstation Mobile(vita and sony mobile devices) later when completed.
So far I've made a running prototype using RPG maker XP graphics as placeholders and characters from  chara.



Collision detection system and a chat based system including the character menu is next on the to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment